Monday, June 7, 2010

Terra Nova

Terra Nova. New Ground. New ground is exciting, unknown, rocky, uncultivated, sometimes hard, often mucky, full of adventure and promise, but also difficult to navigate. And how does one begin to bring forth a good crop on new ground? First by removing the rocks and obstacles. Then one must begin plowing up the ground. OK. Making progress. What next? Water I think. And when I think of water, I think it must be poured out. So for new ground to be cultivated, it must involve some pouring out. Where to pour? Where to start?
I must confess that this all seemed much easier back when I was "plugged in".
Though I served in a wonderful church for almost 20 years, in hindsight I sometimes ask myself, "Who was I serving? Was I serving God or man.....or myself? How often was I serving the lost? How much of my service does the church need anyway? Jesus said Himself that the sick are the ones in need of a doctor. Would the corner clinic be effective if they only serviced themselves, only treated the ailments and afflictions of their own staff? How effective are we at serving the sick? The lost? The addicted? The homeless? Those in need of a doctor?

Seasons. Life is all about seasons. God is all about seasons. We must learn to discern the times and seasons. A time to sow. A time to reap. A time to rest. You get the picture.
What is the season of the church? What is the time we are currently in? That is a very loaded question and to ask it brings up many answers, some defensive....some pensive. Many fear the question because their lives and livelihoods depend on the church remaining the same. But some of us are daring to ask the question. Some of us are feeling the winds of change blowing. Some are daring to journey out across this Jordan to a land unknown, and to new ground not yet cultivated.


"Do not forsake the fellowship of the saints." Or as Hebrews 10:25 says, "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
I believe wholeheartedly in our need for fellowship, in my need for fellowship. As one who is presently without that need being fulfilled, I realize it even more. I have been without regular face to face intimate fellowship for over a year now, yet I have not been out of church. How can that be? You see, I have not had my need for fellowship met within the churches I have attended. The fellowship that I have been blessed to enjoy (thank God for the internet and cell phones) and continue to maintain was birthed from an intimate setting. The encouragement that I have needed I have received from intimate friends within intimate settings. The needed accountability I have been blessed to receive has also come from this place.
But wait, we have been instructed that to be out of the corporate church means we are "uncovered" and in danger! Yet I wonder how many people actually feel "covered" by their pastors? I mean, with corporate church attendance in the hundreds to even thousands, how can a pastor "cover" so many? How can one man hold each member of his flock accountable, or speak into each life from an earned place of relationship?

Church. If not how it has been, then how? Are we willing to be the pioneers who will seek the One who knows the answer to that question? Or will we just continue on, business as usual, afraid of what the answer might look like?

The Scripture talks about a bride leaving her family to cleave to her husband, this is a very important and needed process in a marriage. I am the Bride of Christ. I feel as if He is has called me out to cleave to Him for a season.  Just like a new bride, I feel a bit apprehensive in this marriage relationship. Sometimes I miss the security of my family. I even miss being told what to do by them, and the rules I was required to follow. But I am determined to cleave to my Husband. I want to hear His voice. I want to know His thoughts. I want to understand His ways. I will follow Him wherever He leads me. He has my heart. Oh, but He is a jealous Lover......

1 comment:

  1. so good Holly. I am going to ask Dave to read it. We got a lot of "new ground" here. I want to say, my husband has entered a place with the Lord that he or I have never been. I am amazed by it. No one can be in the word every single day and not be changed, but wow, it is exciting to see. And encouraging. I, too am so glad we can be in touch like this. It's not face to face, but I would say, it is heart to heart! Love you, you have always been someone I look up to (no not the inches, lol), but your heart, the Fathers heart, remember that old song?

    ReplyDelete

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...