Wednesday, June 30, 2010

To Tell the Truth

There was a TV show many years ago by that name. The premise of the show was this:  Three people stood before a panel of contestants. One of the three was or did something of particular interest, like say he or she flew helicopters or some such thing. The other two people were impostors. The panel asked questions of each person trying to find out who was the real "Bill Jones". The impostors faked their answers. At the end the host of the show said "Will the real Bill Jones please stand up?" at which point the panel got to see if they guessed rightly or wrongly as the impostors were exposed. That was the show in a nutshell.
So why am I bringing it up? I am not feeling nostalgic. I hardly remember the show, though I do recall it was in black and white so it must be really old. But the line from the end of the program came to me last night. "Will the real ____________please stand up?"

I pray for many young people, and I grieve over them. I see the impostors, the people they pretend to be, or even have come to believe they truly are. Because of their various wounds and the many lies that have attached to these wounds, deception has become a way of life....or should I say "death" because until we discover who we really are, and what we are living for, are we really alive?

We were all impostors before we came to a place where we could receive God's love. I am sure I'm not the only one who lived my life hiding behind a false self and hoping nobody would discover the lie. Because I knew that I was not good enough and was well aware of everything I lacked. Therefore it was my daily struggle to present to the world something I felt would be more acceptable than the truth. I was not living my life at all, I was hiding. But I was afraid to stop faking it, afraid that the facade I created would come crashing down exposing me as the loser I felt I was.

What a glorious day  it was when I discovered I belong to something bigger than myself, to Someone who loves me! It was like I could breathe...finally! I could let out all of the breath I had been holding with one huge sigh of relief. I didn't have to fake it any more! I didn't have to hide behind the impostor. I discovered I am worthy to live because He desires me. He likes me, as Mr. Rogers used to say "Just the way I am."Wow!

And along with His acceptance I grew to realize that all of the nasty, evil, dark places that I had tried for so long to hide from the world....He also desires! He wants them too! Wow, I no longer have to try to juggle the lies for fear of exposure. He not only wants me to give them to Him, but He gives me back something in return! Love. A clear conscience. A sense of belonging. Peace. Life!


All of the things that I feared letting go....all of the "props" that I had used to maintain this false self...I no longer needed. Didn't I feel exposed? Yes. But His love covered me. I no longer had to try and cover myself up.  I didn't have to be the tough girl, or the loud drunk, nor did I have to be high or numb in order to stand myself. I could stop pretending. I could stop running...running from my past and from my pain. I had been found, and seen....the truth was exposed and I was still loved. Wow!

So as I pray for these young people, I weep for them and I call them out of hiding. I want them to know that God sees them.
"Then I went by you and saw you kicking around in your own blood. I said to you, "Live." I want them to know that He loves them. And that even I see the truth in them, not the ugly truth that they want to hide....but the truth of their uniqueness and potential.
When I look at you, I don't see an alcoholic, or a drug addict, I don't see your perversion, or the anger or the rebellion or any of the other false fronts that you have erected for survival. I don't see the tattoos or the many things that you use to try and cover your wounds. I see compassion in you that can pastor the lost. I see how people are drawn to you, and I see a leader of nations. I see a prophet. I want you to know who you truly are. I want to tell you the truth. I long to extend a hand and say, "I see you. And I do not find you repulsive. Come out of hiding. There is Someone here I would love for you to meet."
Will the real you please......stand up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...