Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Marriage....BFF?

I have been thinking about marriage lately. Someone close to me shared about his upcoming divorce. He stated that he and his wife are still good friends and would remain so. It was not the first time I have heard this sort of explanation from people stating their reason for separation or divorce. It sounds so strange to my ears.
Is friendship with one's spouse a horrible thing worthy of breaking up a marriage? When did that idea develop? What exactly are our expectations for marriage, anyway? Can a marriage even last if the parties are not good friends?
I think about why God created marriage in the first place. He wanted us to experience a relationship with another human being representative of His relationship with us. He wanted us to have a companion, so that we would not be "alone". He desired for us to experience "one-ness".
He loves us so much, He wanted to give us another dimension of love to experience, besides just "family love", Fatherly love....The love of God toward we His children. He wanted us to experience "romantic love". That is the love that Jesus has for His Bride. It is so beautifully displayed in the marriage relationship. And ultimately He draws us into "friendship". He said He calls us "friends'.
I can tell you that it has taken me many years to come into the "friendship" phase of my relationship with God. But it is amazing! I have experienced the newness of discovering Him (honeymoon phase?) and it was good. Then I experienced an awe of Him, respect and admiration......that He is truly my Savior and died for me.
I have known God as my Daddy. My family. Healing love. A love that never fails because after all, we are related!
There was a beautifully intense phase in which I experienced the consummation of my love relationship with the Lord. It was romantic and very private....unexplainable really. But we became one and I experienced that one-ness with Him.
I can truly say that lately I know God as my Friend. And this is the most glorious phase yet! I desire to relate to Him all day long...not out of a sense of duty, or even obligation, but because I love His friendship! He is the One with whom I want to share my heart and tell my secrets, and the wonder is He shares His heart and secrets with me! He is the Friend I love just hanging out with! I trust Him. I know this friendship will never fail. We will be BFF forever! There is security in this love relationship. He knows me, and still desires me. He chooses me, I choose Him. Friendship.
And isn't that how a marriage relationship progresses as well? It may be in different order, but ultimately isn't there a deep sense of appreciation and security in knowing that our spouse is our best friend? We are accepted, loved, understood and desired because we are friends. We love to hang out and just be together. We have history and future in this friendship connection. And it is good.
So why isn't it enough for a marriage? Where did the lie come from that tells us that marriage should be more than a lasting friendship? It makes my heart sad. I think maybe it makes my Friend's heart sad as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...