Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tribute

As Christmas approaches, the season is taking on a familiar feel. I find myself crying at the drop of a hat at any commercial, not just Hallmark. My dear husband has been working way too many hours. But as I look back on our years of Christmases together, I realize that this is nothing out of the norm. I think what makes it even more noticeable this particular year is that I have no tree to decorate, no house to decorate, nothing to bake, nothing to shop for, basically nothing to distract me or keep me busy so that I don't miss him so much.

I think of all the years he has worked overtime right up until Christmas Eve. I remember the times he had to scramble to get an evening off to watch the boys in a church pageant or even to take them for a drive to see the lights. He has sacrificed all these years so that his family could enjoy all of the activities of the season, food and presents included.

This year, he works mostly because he knows he is blessed to have a job, but also to pay off some debts that have piled up recently due to vehicle and rental repairs. He tries to stay thankful for the hours, while he comes home most nights after 9:00, bone tired and body aching, and with a big sigh shares the bad news that he will have to work the weekend.

This familiar pattern is not by choice. Many people mistakenly judge my husband as "type A" or "work-aholic" but nothing could be further from the truth. He does not work because he is driven to succeed, he doesn't even like what he does for a living. His hard work and diligence for the most part go unnoticed by his employers; which breaks my heart because I know he is a man who does not believe in tooting his own horn, but is of the old school who thinks that a job well done will be rewarded. Sadly, in his line of work it rarely is.

All of the above, my friends, is why I felt led to pay him tribute in this post. (Especially after my little Christmas song which he loved so good-naturedly.) I wanted to use this forum to thank him for all his hard work over these more than 31 years. I wanted to say publicly how thankful I am that he not only provided for his family, he made us feel safe and secure. I am constantly amazed at his talents, and take for granted that I have a husband who can fix most anything, build most anything, and outwork most men half his age. And beyond those attributes he is kind and gentle, fun loving and patient, with a servant's heart, and most of all one of the most humble men I've ever known.

He left early for work this morning because he had an errand to run. You see, he not only works so many hours to provide for his family. He does it so he can give to others. This morning he was dropping off a bag of toys he blessed me with the opportunity to purchase for some needy children in the inner city here in Portland. An article in the paper was his inspiration.

Such generosity and tender-heartedness are a huge part of who he is. It is the vision that keeps him going...when he is working hour after hour feeling unappreciated. His vision is to one day own a business that will provide finances enough to enable him to give on a much bigger scale. I believe his dream will become a reality.

Until that day, I know he will continue to be diligent, conscientious, and committed to a job that he doesn't like. Because that is the kind of man he is. That is the man I married. And I am ever so thankful I did.

1 comment:

  1. He's a good man. You have a real blessing.
    The Lord is his employer and sees what is done, the quality, efficiency, clarity, all of it. Nothing escapes the Lord's eye.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...