Friday, March 25, 2011

Goodness Gracious

Lately I have been struck with a rather disturbing realization. We have been duped. We "carriers of the gospel", ambassadors, Christians, whatever the current term to describe believers in Christ....we have bought into a lie. It is a lie of "entitlement". There is something in us that assumes that we deserve the best, or the biggest, or we deserve to be the first in line, or the richest....all because we are Christians? Americans? What? Where did this lie come in?

What has struck me most while watching the footage of our dear brothers and sisters in Japan is how very polite and orderly they are. In the midst of this horrible tragedy, they continue to conduct themselves with such dignity and graciousness. It is a beautiful thing to behold. I think of the looting and ugly behavior that goes on here in my own country any time there is a disaster, and I am ashamed.

You might think, yes but the looters are clearly not Christians! We would not behave that way! I say go to any conference and you will see our "entitlement mentality" on full display. We storm the doors and run into the building elbowing others to get the cushy seats, or the ones nearest the front. We want the best parking spots, we desire the things of this world with the same fervor as those to whom we are to be exampling the character of Jesus.

I have been thinking about graciousness, and what it is. We would all agree that our Lord and everything about Him is full of grace. He is the most gracious Man who ever walked the earth.....kind, gentle, generous in spirit, merciful, compassionate and thankful. All of these traits describe our Lord. But do they describe us? I confess to you that upon close examination of my own life and behavior I fear I do not find a person whom others would describe as gracious first and foremost. In my weak moments, I find that I want the best for myself. I don't often want to play nice and share.

I am determined to change and grow into someone who exudes this beautiful trait. I believe thankfulness is the key. It is difficult to complain while being thankful. It is hard to put my wants first while in a conscious state of thankfulness for the abundance that I already possess. When was the last time you thanked someone for a simple kindness? Or thanked someone for doing their job? Or thanked a family member for a meal or a clean home or working so hard to pay the bills? Goodness gracious.....what a lovely way to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...