Monday, August 13, 2012

The Lord's Prayer

In the hospital waiting room. So many people. So much pain. Some sit chatting while their loved ones wait to be seen. I sit in silence. Watching...wondering about their lives, their stories, and what brought them here?
Sometimes, when I am at my most "spiritual" I imagine hanging out in a hospital. I have heard that the Gospel is well received in times of physical need. What is the Gospel? What is the need?

I watch her walk in. She is limping. She makes her way up to the counter. I am distracted by other people, other conversations taking place around me.
Then I notice her again. She is sitting there, not too far from me. Her head is down. Is she crying? Yes, I hear her now. Just a gentle sobbing so as not to be noticed. But I notice. God notices.
What do you want from me, Lord? Do you want me to go and pray with her? Am I to ask her if she knows You? Oh God, I am so broken myself. I am in need! Would you really ask me to give when I have nothing left to give? How can I even think about Your Kingdom here in the pain of this place, with this ache in my heart?

I try to ignore Him. I try to ignore her. "Just sit here. Maybe she'll stop." I look over again. Tears are still coming with the faint sound of whimpers. Doesn't anyone see? Doesn't anyone notice?
"I notice. Go to her. Ask her what she needs." 
Oh God, no! What if what she needs is too much for me? Don't You see how tired and broken I am? What about me? You don't seem to care much about my needs right now!!

I get up to go walk around a little, stretch my legs.  I have been sitting for a long time. Since I have to walk right by her anyway, I bend down and ask her if she is OK...is there anything she needs?
She asks me for some tissue. I see a box on the counter, and go grab two for her. I place them in her hand. She says "Thank you, dear."And the nurse comes out and calls her name.

"Your kingdom come, Your will be done....on earth as it is in Heaven." What does that mean? What does that look like?

Yesterday, it looked like two tissues...given to a stranger...in a hospital waiting room.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...