Monday, June 27, 2011

Amway Christianity

"Hi, are you building a home?" "No, actually we are remodeling one." "Really, we are too! Where do you live?"
This became a familiar conversation and experience years ago when we still had our farmhouse and were constantly doing DIY projects, spending a lot of time at Home Depot. The thing is, at first we thought we were meeting some really friendly people who wanted to be our friend! We soon discovered that they had an ulterior motive. After the first two times this conversation took place, and we were called by the nice man we had spoken to in the store and given part of his sales pitch for Amway, it was evident we weren't popular after all, we were potential investors....and they weren't after relationship, they were after our wallets. Sad. And honestly hurtful.

Time went on, and we became wise to the pitch. It was really shocking how many times we encountered the same scenario. But we were able to quickly recognize it for what it really was, and we learned to ask up front "Do you sell Amway?" It was kind of fun actually, to see their surprised faces as we called them out on their ruse. What we hated most about it was how suspicious we became. It was like anyone who tried to smile or talk to us in public was avoided like the plague because we had been used in this way and didn't want to be suckers again.
The sad thing is, I am beginning to experience a lot of this same marketing strategy within the body of Christ.

It seems that lately I have met people in the Christian community who at first seem to just be friendly and genuinely desiring relationship with me. When I am asked for my email address I innocently assume that they just want to be able to contact me and get to know each other. Soon I discover that there is more to it. I receive their first contact informing me of an upcoming mission trip, and their need for "support" followed up by many more emails asking for my presence at various fund raisers from pot lucks, desserts, car washes, and many other creative ways in which they solicit money for their spiritual endeavors.

My question is, has this Amway approach infiltrated the church and become our idea of the "I AM" way? Don't get me wrong, I certainly understand that God calls some to travel and be involved in different works across the world. And I know that we aren't all independently wealthy. That is where it gets sticky for me. Aren't we supposed to be "dependently wealthy"? I mean, aren't we supposed to trust that where God calls, He also provides? Do we have to use dishonest, or at the very least disingenuous tactics to fulfill God's call?

We have been moved to give to many different "missionaries" (for lack of a better word) over the years. I can tell you that we didn't give out of being "guilted" into it. (Well, actually maybe a few times we did.) But usually God would lay a need on our heart and He would instruct us as to how much to give. It has always amazed me, and been a tremendous testimony to His faithfulness. Also, it has been a demonstration of how Holy Spirit is able to get things done, if we only stay in tune with Him. And I have even gone on a mission trip or two. I remember sending letters to family members and close friends soliciting their support. Looking back, I am embarrassed that I used them in this way and I may even need to send out letters of apology. I am thankful they are still talking to me, and don't run the other way when they see me coming, assuming I am going to hit them up for another small investment.

I remember as my kids were growing up, we had a philosophy that if they wanted something "extra" they should have to work for it. We knew that it would make them appreciate and value it that much more if they had a hand in the process. To just hand them something seemed to cheapen the experience, and we found them to even be more careless with the new acquisition because it really held no value with them.
But if they sacrificed for it.....it was a much different outcome. They had a sense of ownership, and they really took care of the new bike or whatever it may have been, because they were involved in the process.

I know, "fundraising" is a lot of work and so you might say that someone who is having bake sales, making  phone calls and sending the emails to acquire support for their mission trips are working and part of the process. Yes, they are. But is it really God's way? Is it the way of His Kingdom? Are we really supposed to be reduced to the status of beggar? Does our Father truly own the cattle on a thousand hills? If He does, then why do we feel the need to manipulate and "befriend" people in order to get their contact information so that we can hopefully gain their financial support? Aren't we called to walk in truth in our innermost being? Am I walking in love if I begin to see others not as friends, but as potential investors? If God is all about relationship, is He OK with us using relationships for the sake of our mission?

Honestly, I don't know the answer to this dilemma. I know that mission trips can be good, and it is evident that some people need the financial support of others in order to go. I just wish we would step back for a moment and examine our tactics. In our zeal to go and spread the gospel, are we using manipulation and deceit to gain funding? Can this really be part of fulfilling our call to the great commission?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...