Monday, May 2, 2011

Don't Stone Me

Osama Bin Laden is dead. This seems to be the topic of the day. It also seems to be a reason for rejoicing. While I agree that he was a man who allowed evil to take him over, I wonder if God is rejoicing in his death?

I remember Jesus saying something about "forgiving others seventy times seven". Wow, that is a whole lot of forgiveness right there. I don't remember Him telling us to hate anybody. I don't recall Him showing hatred for any person. In fact, the very man who traveled with him, performed miracles with him, and ate with him also betrayed Him with a kiss and gave Him up to the ones who would eventually have Him killed. Yet what did Jesus call Judas in that moment? He called him "friend".
I am a friend of Jesus. Maybe that isn't so much because I am a good person, maybe it's because He is.

Do I believe that God created me? Do I believe that God values life? I do. Did God create Judas? Did He create Osama Bin Laden?
I wonder if Mr. Laden had a mother. I wonder if her dream for him was that he would one day be overrun with evil and facilitate the killing of so many innocent people? I wonder if Osama believed he was doing right, even pleasing God by doing evil? I wonder how hate replaced love in his heart. I wonder when he began to attribute hate as one of God's characteristics?

Am I agreeing with the heart of God in prayer and in life, if I rejoice in the death of a life that He created?
Does God grieve when His creation chooses evil over Him?
Does God rejoice in killing? Is life sacred to the Father?

Who crucified Jesus? What was their motivation? Was it love, hate, or fear?
Sometimes I must resist becoming a part of the angry mob.
Today I choose love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...