Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The B-I-B-L-E

Remember that song from Sunday School? "The B-I-B-L-E....that's the book for me...." Well, I don't remember it because I never went to Sunday School. But I heard it when my boys were little.
Sometimes I think we have re-written the song...."The B-I-B-L-E....third person of the Trinity...." (Thank you, Graham Cooke for that wonderful insight.)

I have often heard people say "I love my pastor. He only teaches THE WORD." I wonder if they think God is trapped within those pages? They must  be saying that their pastor just reads the Bible aloud on Sundays. What else could they mean? Because if he reads the Bible and then expounds on it at all, then he is also teaching his interpretation of the Scripture, and sharing his revelation. And isn't that OK?

Does the New Testament say "Do not forsake going to Bible studies..."? Instead it says "Do not forsake the fellowship of the saints". I think what God's saying is "Don't forget, you need each other. You need to constantly encourage each other because life is hard." Sometimes we would rather beat each other up with our personal knowledge of the Bible, which usually doesn't leave us feeling very encouraged at all.
I wonder why Jesus said He was sending us a helper, a teacher, someone to guide us through life.....someone even greater than Himself. Why would we need such a Person, when we have the Bible to refer to?

I wonder what happens to people who can't read? Or to people whom Jesus visits, in countries where there are no Bibles? I wonder how they manage?

One time I was prayed for by a severely mentally handicapped woman. I mean, she has the intellect of maybe a toddler.....and she certainly can't read. But when she prayed over me "Jesus.....Jesus.....Jesus....Jesus" I felt His manifest presence in a way I haven't felt Him since. How did she know Him, and why did He move through her when she can't even read the "Word"?

Sometimes people quote Scripture to me, during a conversation. I never know quite how to respond. Do I say, "Good job! Great memorization skills!"? Do I try to think of a passage to quote back to them? Sort of a Scripture memory verse ping-pong tournament? I don't ever find quoted Scripture during conversations makes me feel very encouraged.

Why did Jesus tell the religious people of His day:
"You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to Me!" It's almost like He was saying "Put the book down, you idiots. I'm standing right here!" I wonder if He is still saying that today?

I love my Bible. I read it all the time. Not because I have to, but because I like to. And sometimes I don't read it. I don't read it every day at exactly the same time though. I also don't pray in a closet. The reason I read my Bible isn't to worship it, to memorize it, or to find within the pages a "road map for life". I read it because it seems like I continually need reminded of Who Jesus is, why He came, and how extravagant His grace is. The Bible reminds me of God's character. Just like in our Savior's battle with Satan while in the desert for 40 days...it isn't quoting the Bible that saves us. It is knowing who God is, and what He is like....and it is His kindness, displayed to us by His grace, that saves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...