Friday, August 20, 2010

Birthday Blah Blah Blog

Yes, today is my birthday. Please no fanfare. It will only annoy me further. I try not to look forward to things like birthdays, holidays.....special days. But I do. I can't help myself. My husband, on the other hand, claims "It's just another day" and acts like he really believes that. I think he is still recovering from the big surprise party I threw for his 40th. He has trouble admitting he was blessed, but I saw him having fun.

So yea, today is my big day. Hoorah. Hubby got up, turned off the alarm and got back into bed where he remains. He has vertigo and can hardly stand. This might put a damper on the plans for a weekend. I'm thinking dizziness and boating might not go together so well.

But that's OK. My expectations weren't that high to begin with. It is a good thing too, since birthdays usually don't turn out to be that great in my world. Well, there was one year a long time ago. I invited all of my dear friends out to dinner, then I wrote a song and had them sing it to me. That's the way to have a great birthday, plan it yourself.

It isn't about "gifts" for me. And that is certainly a good thing because if it were I would live in a perpetual   state of disappointment. It isn't that hubby doesn't try. Or wait. Maybe it is. Hey, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. He just called to me a few minutes ago "Bring me my wallet, I have a birthday present for you!" So I did. He pulled out the gift card to Sports Authority that he won in a golf tournament last weekend. I thought surely he was joking. He was not. Hey, they have lots of sporty clothes.....get yourself a new work-out outfit or something. OK. Maybe I'll get myself a gym membership to go with it. Or maybe you can take this card and......

 Well, I won't bore you any longer. I am off to the DMV to get my drivers license renewed. This is my second attempt. The problem is, I live in a 5th wheel and we get our mail in a drop box, and they need proof of my physical address, i.e. a piece of mail sent here, which I don't have because I don't receive mail here, there is no mail box for the RV spaces, so I have a drop box to receive mail. We'll see how it goes today. Maybe they will back down from the crazed "birthday girl" at the counter and give my my freakin' license. I don't want any trouble. Or gifts. Or fanfare. It's just another day........

2 comments:

  1. I got cupcakes, ice cream and a card for my birthday. It was a request of mine, that I think he feared to ignore. If it had not been for all the wonderful wishes on fb, it would truly have felt like just another day, (with cake and ice cream,:)I felt loved, but gifts are fun, go out and buy that health club membership!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Holly! I understand your heart on this! It's the little girl in us that makes us want to be treated like a princess on our birthdays.... doesn't really happen here either. Oh, well. I do know I'm loved and appreciated. At least my hubby learned that giving me a purchased item of men's clothing that I could take back and buy whatever I want from the store it came from isnt' really the way to go!! That did happen many years ago. he found out it wasn't a good idea! :^) He's doing better now, and I'm grateful for whatever he does to make me feel special.
    Anyway, my friend, thank you for posting your ponderings on this special day. And it IS special because it belongs to someone that I love --- YOU!! Have a great birthday and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...