Friday, February 19, 2010

What do you see?

In my last post about perspective, we examined the Scripture from Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, people perish." Some translations say "Where there is no revelation (prophetic vision), the people cast off restraint..." In other words, without seeing from God's perspective we run wild. I might say that with no vision, no Kingdom sight, I would become so discouraged that I might just lose hope and run wild too.

Revelations 3:18 tells us to anoint our eyes with eyesalve that we may "see".....

God began talking to me about "sight" long ago. Since then I am struck with how very many times the word "see" or "look" is used just in the New Testament. There must be something to this "seeing" He continues to bring up to us.

In the Old Testament, the word see has many meanings......
see: behold--to dream--to gaze--to have a vision of--prophesy--a view--to look upon--to look intently at--to regard with pleasure--to survey--perceive

I found that in the New Testament, the same word translated "see" has many, many more meanings. It fascinates me to think that such a little, often overlooked word, holds such mysteries and fulness.

see: receive sight--see fully--beware--take heed--to look through--recover full vision--see clearly--understand--to discern clearly--with pleasure, gladly--to visit--to acknowledge--consider--to be a spectator of--to denote surprise (lo!)--to be knowing--open eyes--to gaze with wide open eyes at something remarkable--continual inspection--to brighten up--enlighten--illuminate

Think about it! Even the word "see" takes on fuller and greater meaning once Jesus came! And since Holy Spirit came to us, our eyes were opened and we can see! We are a prophetic people. What were the prophets of the Old Testament often called? Seers! We are "seers"!! We have been given the ability to see with Kingdom eyes, to look past what may be in the natural realm, and to see what is actually taking place in the Kingdom realm. We are a people who have been given "sight" or vision so that we do not perish! But we have to learn to use this new eyesight. We have to practice seeing.

What do we see? What do I see? Do I see lack, or do I see His provision? Do I see sin or do I see through the eyes of grace? Do I see trouble and suffering or do I see life and redemption? What do I see? It all depends on what I am looking through. Are my eyes glorified and sanctified? Am I beholding His beauty? Am I answering His call to "come up here" so that He can show me?

What is our prayer? I find myself often wanting God to change my circumstance, wanting God to remove a trial or a challenge from my path. But my prayer has become "Lord, give me eyes to see! Father, I need the grace to see from Your perspective! I don't want to miss what You are showing me in this!"

As we answer His call to "come up here....come up higher" our vision, our "sight" changes. His Word says that we are seated in heavenly places with Him. What does that mean? It means that we have a new perspective. We have been given the advantage of seeing from above, seated next to God....seeing as He sees. Same circumstance, same earthly reality....but with heavenly sight and perspective, we begin to live in a different realm. We are called to a realm where things are not as they "seem"...."I once was blind, but now I see!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...