Saturday, January 21, 2017

Political Thoughts

I am not a Republican.
I am not a Democrat.
I agree and disagree with both parties.

I am a follower of Christ.
As such, I do not believe in name-calling or mud slinging.

I recognize that there are Christians who are Republicans, and Christians who are Democrats.
I also recognize that God is not in favor of one political party over another.

I do not believe that Donald Trump is the "answer to our prayers."

I question how we can believe the above while not believing God appointed Barack Obama as president.

I think praying for "our" candidate to win is much like praying for our sports team to win. It is presumptuous to assume God likes one side over the other. I am sure there were just as many people praying for another candidate. Therefore I do not agree with this theology.
I do believe God cares very much about our heart attitudes in the midst of sporting events or elections.

I do not hate President Obama. I did not agree with all of his politics. This does not justify calling him names or posting angry degrading comments on social media directed at him.

I do not hate Donald Trump. I do hate some of his actions. A lot. And because of those actions and also because of his rhetoric, I am not a fan. I will give him a chance while I watch, and wait, and see what actually happens in the next 4 years.

I do not believe that those in the entertainment industry speak for me.
I do not believe most of the posts on social media are unbiased or true.
I am frustrated with the "news" media in general.
I have become quite frustrated with big government, and a government which does not listen to the people it governs.

There are folks who are rejoicing over the new President, and those who are mourning or angry.
I would love to see us all growing in respect for our differences.

I think rioting in the streets needs to stop. I don't believe that those who are peacefully protesting are at fault for the violence. I believe it is a few angry people who have no business calling themselves political protesters. I pray that things will calm down, and we will all feel safe once again.

I do not believe all Muslims are terrorists, I believe most are not. I do hope for a day when those who are not radicals will rise up with a louder voice against those who are. This Muslim anti-terrorist voice needs to be heard...in the same way that the Christian voice should rise up against the actions and beliefs of the Westboro Baptist church and other bigoted so-called Christians.

My heart hurts for the women, minorities, LGBT and all other people who feel unsafe right now because of the things our new President has said and done. I want you to know that I do not condone his words or actions. I pray that things will calm down and you will feel safe once again. I apologize to you for being called names such as "snowflake" and "crybabies" because of your concerns. I apologize that we followers of Christ are not representing Him very well. I apologize that we have not loved you well. I apologize for the mixed message we're sending with every angry, prideful and insensitive post. Mostly, I apologize for our hypocrisy.

I do not agree with the "us vs. them" mentality of many Christian peers who have been caught up in the angry fray of political "sides". I believe Jesus came to break down the "us vs. them" religious mentality once and for all. I believe Jesus came to open our eyes to the truth of our connection with God, and with each other. We are either "us" or no one.

I believe that just as in most of life's bigger issues, the pendulum usually swings really far one way, and then the other...and eventually settles in the middle.
I believe it is our job to continue to walk in love, grace, compassion and respect during these extremes.
I am committed in my desire to do so...because I am not a Republican or a Democrat. 
I am a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...