Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Big One

A lot of talk lately...a lot of chatter in the news, and on social media. The big one, the earthquake that will cause a tsunami that will destroy the Oregon and Washington coast, is coming. I am afraid. Even though I don't live at the coast, I am terrified. Do I have water and supplies in the garage? No. Maybe I'll start stockpiling. Maybe I'll forget to. But all of the water and supplies won't assuage my fears. Because what terrifies me most isn't the natural disaster. The thing that makes me shake in my boots is the aftermath. The devastation that will hit us when all of the water recedes and the dust has settled. This is when all of the voices will begin to speak, all of those sure-of-themselves, "I'm always right" Scripture-quoting voices will begin to speak for God. "I told you so. It was sure to happen. God is angry. Judgment was sure to come upon us. We are being punished!" Punished for...(choose one) abortion, homosexuality, flag burning, taking prayer out of school, not saying the pledge of allegiance every morning, and the list goes on. Trust me, friends. The big one is coming. I may not be sure about when or if this natural disaster will hit, but the disaster of its aftermath will surely hit. And it will be disastrous. It always is. When we superimpose our fear and false image of God onto things that happen to us in this life, it does tremendous damage. Not just to ourselves and our relationship with God, but damage to others and their relationship with Him, or their image of Him. I think that is the greatest disaster of all. That, to me, is the big one. The one we must prepare for. God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...