Friday, September 12, 2014

Helicopter Christians

Most of us have heard the term "helicopter parents" but if not, allow me to share the meaning: a style of child rearing in which an overprotective mother or father discourages a child's independence by being too involved in the child's life. Yep, I'm guilty. I didn't helicopter over my kids constantly, but there were many times I was way too overprotective, parenting out of fear.

Today, I am coining the phrase "Helicopter Christians"...because I see this behavior running rampant in Christianity today. We have become overprotective of those around us. We try to keep others from sinning. We are fearful that God cannot protect those we love, so we jump in with our feeble attempts to protect them. "Don't touch that! Don't talk like that! You should be...you need to be..." We have made ourselves demi-gods, believing we are responsible for other people's relationships with God, especially (ahem) our adult children. Oh God, how did we get here?

I picture a helicopter parent, hovering over her toddler, fearful that he will fall and get hurt in his early attempts to walk. It is a miracle the little bugger ever succeeds! But we do the same thing when we try to manage the sins of others. We flutter about, with our helicopter rotors spinning, hovering over loved ones, "helping" them with our corrections, trying to protect them from falling and getting hurt.

Well, today I am committed to landing the helicopter I have piloted for much too long. I am choosing to stay grounded...grounded in faith, choosing to trust in God's goodness, and His ability to perfectly handle everyone else, just as He takes care of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears

This morning I read in Revelation 7:17 "And God will wipe from their eyes every last tear."  We all know that scripture. And I'...